Beginners Improv Course
"Hoopla's workshops are supportive & collaborative." - Evening Standard
"In one class I laughed so hard that I cried, full-on shaking with laughter" - The Guardian
UK's 1st improv theatre!
"The finest off the cuff troupes on the circuit" - TimeOut
The most fun & friendly place to learn improv in the UK!
Our improv classes and courses are open to everyone, no previous experience of impro, acting or comedy needed. Complete beginners are welcome. Improv is for everyone!
We have the most experienced teachers in the UK who create a warm & supportive atmosphere where you are free to play and be yourself.
Hoopla have been running for over 14 years and are the UK’s biggest improvisation training school, teaching 1000s of people every year.
Hoopla are the founders of the UK’s 1st improv comedy club. Recommended by The Guardian, The Independent, Time Out, The Evening Standard, The Daily Telegraph and more.
Our theatre has shows 7 nights a week featuring people who have trained with Hoopla, and a warm welcoming community to support you with ongoing performance opportunities.
Hoopla also provide fun and engaging corporate training for clients including Google, Facebook, Accenture, Apple, London Business School, Comedy Central and more.
We have followed government guidelines to make sure all of our classes and shows are covid-secure, while also working hard to make sure socially-distanced improv is still fun, friendly and playful! We also offer full flexibility on bookings to give you peace of mind when planning ahead.
- BOOK NOW
PLUS socials, shows and jams all running online during lockdown!
- BOOK NOW
Level 1: Beginners improv course
Running online over July and August. Back in real-life from September and October.
- BOOK NOW
Level 2: Performance improv course (with show)
Running online over July and August. Back in real-life this Autumn.
- BOOK NOW
Level 3: Scenes improv course (with show)
- BOOK NOW
Level 4: Long-form course (with show)
- BOOK NOW
Level 5: Advanced improv courses
- BOOK NOW
Ongoing performing opportunities
- BOOK NOW
Covid-19 Safety & Flexibility
We have followed government guidance to make sure all of our classes and shows are covid-secure, while also working hard to make sure socially-distanced improv is still fun, friendly and playful!
We also offer full flexibility on bookings to give you peace of mind when planning ahead.
The capital’s best improv. The UK’s first improv comedy club.
The BEST course I have ever done in London - learned some amazing new skills and the funniest 2.5 hours a week I can remember!
In one class, I laughed so hard that I cried, full-on shaking with laughter, as tears streamed down my face.
Great place to go and watch amazing improv. The best comedy venue to watch improvised comedy in London.
The supportive atmosphere ensures that even complete beginners will have the confidence to grow their skills.
Hoopla's workshops are supportive and collaborative.
Epic epic epic place. Crazy fun. Took an improv course with Hoopla, it was the best ever. Don't hesitate to go there, just go!!!
I felt empowered and energised. So much so that I took the next course level and did my first public performance.
If improvisation floats your boat you should head to Hoopla. There’s fewer better ways to see what spur-of-the-moment comedy London has to offer.
Improv does not find a better home, than at Hoopla in London.
The finest off-the-cuff troupes on the circuit.
Signing up for improv classes helped my shyness to melt away.
Sign up! It's the most fun you can have as an adult without being medicated!
Everywhere you look, huge grins suggest an enthusiasm and an attentiveness that is rarely seen in a course.
Thanks for the workshop. All the feedback has been extremely positive! The team loved it!
Hoopla always puts on the best nights and is an amazing supportive place to learn! Get involved EVERYONE!!!
My anxiety evaporated in that room. My stage fright transformed into excitement, and I became dynamic, more spontaneous. Happier.
This introduction to improvisation will teach the skills you'll need to master scenes, stories and sketches in a relaxed environment.
The workshop really helps you internalise important skills like really listening and not dismissing others’ ideas out of hand.
I now regularly try to make room for improv and play time in my life. The three hours of laughter do wonders for my stress levels.
The most positive, enthusiastic teacher, with insightful notes, a collaborative mindset and is so very giving of herself.
- Wed 12th AugOnline Course starts: Stand Up >
- Wed 12th AugOnline Drop-in: Make a Choice>
- Thu 13th AugOnline Drop-in: Game of the Scene>
- Sat 15th Augonline course starts: Game of the scene>
- Sun 16th AugParkprov: Short-form (Hyde Park)>
- Sun 16th AugParkprov: Character (Hyde Park)>
- Mon 17th AugCrash Landing BIPOC Workshop>
- Mon 17th AugOnline course starts: Level 2 Improv>
- Mon 17th AugOnline Drop-in: Back to Basics>
- Mon 17th AugTaster Class>
- Tue 18th AugSpontaneity Drop-in>
- Wed 19th AugOnline Drop-in: Spacework & Object work>
- Thu 20th AugCharacter Drop-in>
- Sun 22nd AugOnline Drop-in: Back to Basics>
- Sun 23rd AugParkprov: Short-form>
- Sun 23rd AugParkprov: Long-form>
- Mon 24th AugOnline Course Starts: Sketch>
- Mon 24th AugOnline Drop-in: Back to Basics>
- Mon 24th AugTaster Class>
- Tue 25th AugHeroes Villains Drop-in: Heroes & Villains>
- Wed 26th AugOnline course starts: Sketch for Radio>
- Wed 26th AugOnline Drop-in: Emotional Connection>
- Thu 27th AugWorkshop: Crash Landing>
- Thu 27th AugStory Drop-in>
- Sat 29th AugParkprov: Short-form>
- Sat 29th AugParkprov: Story>
- Sun 30th AugParkprov: Scenes>
- Sun 30th AugParkprov: Long-form>
- Tue 1st SepOnline Drop-In: Long-form>
- Wed 2nd SepOnline Drop-in>
- Thu 3rd SepOnline Drop-in: Character>
- Sun 6th SepParkprov: Short-form>
- Sun 6th SepParkprov: Long-form>
- Mon 7th SepOnline course starts: Beginners>
- Mon 7th SepONline drop-in: Back to basics>
- Mon 7th SepTaster class>
- Tue 8th SepOnline Drop-in: Meisner>
- Wed 9th SepOnline Drop-in>
- Thu 10th SepOnline Drop-in: Scenework>
- Fri 11th SepOnline Mini Course: Meisner>
- Sat 12th SepParkprov: Scenes>
- Sat 12th SepParkprov: Long-form>
- Mon 14th SepOnline course starts: Beginners>
- Mon 14th SepONline drop-in: Back to basics>
- Mon 14th SepReal-Life course starts: Get Back Into Improv>
- Mon 14th SepTaster class>
- Tue 15th SepOnline course starts: Beginners>
- Tue 15th SepOnline Drop-in: THe Improvised Play>
- Wed 16th SepOnline drop-in>
- Thu 17th SepONline drop-in: Story>
- Mon 21st SepONline drop-in: Back to basics>
- Mon 21st SepTaster class>
- Tue 22nd SepOnline drop-In: long-form>
- Wed 23rd SepOnline drop-In:>
- Thu 24th SepOnline drop-In: game of the scene>
- Mon 28th SepONline drop-in: Back to basics>
- Mon 28th SepTaster class>
- Tue 29th SepOnline drop-In: character>
- Wed 30th SepOnline drop-In>
- Thu 1st OctONline drop-in: spontaneity>
- Mon 5th OctOnline course starts: Beginners>
- Mon 5th OctONline drop-in: Back to basics>
- Mon 5th OctTaster class>
- Tue 6th OctOnline course starts: Beginners>
- Tue 6th OctONline drop-in: scenework>
- Wed 7th OctONline drop-in>
- Thu 8th OctONline drop-in: short-form>
- Mon 12th OctOnline course starts: Sketch>
- Mon 12th OctONline drop-in: Back to basics>
- Tue 13th OctONline drop-in: Story>
- Wed 14th OctONline drop-in>
- Wed 14th OctOnline course starts: Sketch for Radio>
- Thu 15th OctONline drop-in: long-form>
- Sat 16th OctOnline mini course: Meisner>
- Sat 17th OctONline drop-in: Back to basics>
- Mon 19th OctONline drop-in: Back to basics>
- Mon 26th OctONline drop-in: Back to basics>
- what is improv?
- improv encyclopedia
- beginners guide
- beginners improv exercises & games
Done many courses with Hoopla and they are the BEST. Most welcoming community I've been a part of and the shows are just side-splittingly good. Love what they’ve created here and so so pleased to be a part of the Hoopla following!
Hoopla is an incredible place - it’s one big party and everyone is invited. Hoopla’s teachers are warm and welcoming and playing in workshops is one of the most joyful, creative things a person can do. Go there. Laugh. Make friends. Be awesome.
Great to instantly connect with people, drop barriers and have fun for a few hours a week. I felt like I was developing personally in a supportive, fun environment and that felt great. What a blast!
A welcoming place to perform, watch, learn and network. Super supportive staff and knowledgeable teachers. The least judgemental people I've ever met. I always feel at home there. I can't recommend HOOPLA enough!
Could not recommend higher. What started out as a fun way to spend a few evenings and learn something new quickly became so much more. Hoopla courses and shows play host to a supportive, fun and alive community of people.
As a newcomer to improv, I feel so lucky to have discovered Hoopla. What a fantastic company. I just can't recommend them highly enough! If you're thinking of doing an improv course, you definitely won't be disappointed.
Did the level one course and absolutely loved it. The atmosphere in class felt safe and forgiving, made it easy to learn and have fun without feeling anxious about making mistakes or looking silly. Highly recommend!
What I love so much at Hoopla is the warm supportive atmosphere. Everyone is very positive and friendly, and you have no fear of joining a class by yourself as everyone is usually alone but you leave feeling part of a community.
A great way to lose inhibitions and just have fun in a friendly, supportive and encouraging environment.
A great bunch of people, so lovely to be in a space where there was no pressure to be funny or perform, everyone was supportive and positive. Sounds a bit wanky but it was properly life affirming! it should be on the NHS.
If you're looking for improv comedy, this is the place to be. Some of the best talent around and regular performances. If you haven't experienced any improv before, you're in for a treat. Get yourself down there!