improvise more characters than you’ve ever done in your life
character improv classes
Intensive one day workshop focussing on improvising comedic characters.
Improvise more characters than you’ve ever done in your life. Get away from your default characters and open up some new characters you haven’t experienced before. Games and techniques for improvising fun believable characters from scratch.
One day class aiming to make you awesome at improvising characters.
dates, time, location
Saturday 16th June 2018 with Susan Harrison. Book Now
Time: 11:30am – 4pm.
Venues: Theatre Delicatessen Studios, 1st Floor, 2 Finsbury Avenue, London, EC2M 2PP.
Tube: Liverpool Street, Moorgate or Bank.
teacher Susan Harrison
Susan performs in the Olivier award winning Showstoppers The Improvised Musical, performing on the West End and their international tours.
She has taken four Character shows to the Edinburgh Fringe, with her show “Creatures” winning a ThreeWeeks Editor’s Choice Award.
TV work includes 2 series of BAFTA nominated sketch show Definitely Not News-round for CBBC and series 2 and 3 of BAFTA nominated sketch show Class Dismissed, also for CBBC.
She also performs with Beings and hosts Cabarera, a regular cabaret night of characters and improv.
She trained at The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.
We will be covering some of the following on the day, the exact topics vary from workshop to workshop:
- Fun and playful warm ups.
- Core improv skills including listening, yes and, spontaneity, letting go and having fun.
- Finding character through changing physicality.
- Mirroring and listening to find character.
- Finding character through emotion.
- Finding character through genre choices.
- Emotionally charged characters.
- Reactions and emotional sounds.
- Spontaneous characters.
- Posture, Gestures, Mannerisms, Gait, Movement, Voice.
- Finding character through animals.
- Point of view. Attitude. Beliefs.
- Adding instant depth to cliched characters.
- Using your life to inspire character. Hot-spots.
- Objectives and finding character depth.
- Moving beyond your default characters.
- Patterns of behaviour and mannerisms.
- ‘Outside-In’ and ‘Inside-Out’ Methods.
Exact topics vary from workshop to workshop as we adapt our teaching to each group.
Who is this suitable for?
Have you done this course before?
Yes. We’ve been doing it on a regular basis for over 8 years.
Will you be doing it again?
Yes, please see dates above for confirmed dates and we’ll also announce future dates on our twitter, facebook and email list.
Is there a lunch break?
Yes there’s a lunch break around 1:30pm and also a few smaller breaks over the day.
What follow up classes are there?
You might also be interested in our Scenes Improv Workshop, Narrative or our 8 Week Improv Courses.