Hoopla are constantly working to improve the numbers of LGBTQIA people in improv and comedy, following our diversity and accessibility policy:
- We always have at least 3 LGBTQIA people in our core teaching team.
- We have a number of LGBT diversity officers available for improvisers to speak to.
- We have multiple LGBT people in our core show teams and house teams.
- Our shows are regularly hosted by LGBT people.
- We have a code of conduct policy for our teachers and improvisers designed to support LGBTQIA people in improv.
- We train our teachers on how to cope with show to create a supportive environment for LGBTQIA people.
- We regularly put on shows to inspire LGBTQIA improvisers in connection with Zeal and Pride London.
Zeal are dedicated to providing an opportunity for LGBTQIA improvisers to tell their stories and be true to their instincts onstage.
They run a regular night at Hoopla for LGBTQIA improvisers and also at The Nursery and other comedy venues across London.
They also run an annual Improv Pride Festival that gathers LGBTQIA improvisers from across the UK and Europe.
Dates: Every couple of months on Wednesdays. Exact dates at comedy club page.
Times: Doors open 7:30pm, show 8pm – 10pm.
Venue: Hoopla at The Miller, 96 Snowsfields Road, London Bridge, SE1 3SS.
Tube: London Bridge.
How to take part
If you are interested in performing at Zeal, or are an LGBTQIA improviser that would like to meet others and possibly form a group, please contact our shows producer Angela Pollard with the following details:
- Your name.
- Contact details.
- Your improv or other performing experience.
She will then introduce you to the team who can let you know how to get involved.
We are very open to feedback about how we could improve the diversity of the UK improv scene, so if you have any suggestions please get in touch.