Hoopla are due to take on more nights next year, gradually building up to a full- time venue.
Hoopla aim to open up improv for everyone by putting on fun shows that are suitable for people who are new to watching improv as well as existing improv fans and improvisers, to help grow the overall UK improv audience and scene.
Hoopla also support new improvisers and groups by providing a safe and supportive environment for them to perform and build up performing experience and experiment with new ideas. We aim to have a space for everyone to perform, from beginner improvisers stepping on stage for the first time, to experienced TV famous improvisers. We vary our marketing and advertising accordingly so that the right audience turns up for the right show.
All of the profits from Hoopla shows are split equally between performers and front of house volunteers. We aim to provide a fun place to perform where groups can put on shows without the financial restrictions of large deposits or profit shares that are found in many fringe theatres and festivals. We also aim to keep the ticket prices low, and give free tickets to people on our course, so that there is no financial barrier to new audiences coming and we can grow a diverse audience.
We are welcoming and supportive to all improvisers and audience of all backgrounds, and are currently working on a larger project to improve diversity within the improv scene.
Hoopla also put on additional events like improv networking, jams and socials to help grow the flourishing UK improv community.
Hoopla also aim to provide safe and supportive events and socials where people new to London can join a community and make new friends.
We’re currently putting on more shows than ever, and to keep doing all of the above we could really do with some help so we’re looking for some volunteers to join the team!
Here’s who we are looking for:
– Front of house volunteers (doing tickets on the door and helping people with seats and other things).
– Sound and lighting volunteers (you’d get trained up in how to do that).
– Hosts/Show Captains (you’d also get trained up in Hoopla style).
Ideally we’re looking for people who’d be interested in doing any of those jobs, so we can build up a pool of volunteers that will help us to put on more shows and community events.
Here’s some fun things you’ll get from us:
– Being part of a super cool improv team.
– Being part of a secret Hoopla Show Squad facebook group.
– Training on front of house, sound and lighting and hosting.
– Fun team- bonding days.
– Free entry to all of our shows, not just the shows you are volunteering at, apart from festival shows.
– First priority on free places on our courses that sometimes pop up.
– Split of profit from the night you are volunteering at (see below).
All of the profits from Hoopla shows are split equally between performers and front of house volunteers. We aim to provide a fun place to perform where groups can put on shows without the financial restrictions of large deposits or profit shares that are found in many fringe theatres and festivals.
While show squad is largely voluntary there will also be a fair split of profits between performers and front of house volunteers. However due to the number of performers and volunteers involved in our nights, and low ticket prices, the split per person on each night is not very high, usually under £5 and often nothing as many of our nights are free. We do however make sure that all profits go directly to performers and volunteers, and that they are divided fairly. Hoopla just take £30 of online sales to help cover costs of advertising the nights.
Training & Team Bonding Days
To form a team and learn from each other we’re going to have some training days on the following days:
Saturday 17th September 2016 – new dates tbc
Saturday 24th September 2016 – new dates tbc
Both are 2pm – 6pm at The Miller, 96 Snowsfields Road, London Bridge, SE1 3SS.
You could do either one of them, or both if you wanted. If you can’t do any of them please contact us anyway as we’ll be doing some more later in the season.
In the training days we’ll be looking at:
– Front of house.
– How to host a show and be welcoming and friendly to the audience.
– Sound and lighting basics.
If you are interested in joining Hoopla’s Performance Squad:
If you are interested in joining the team please send an email to email@example.com with details of the following:
– What you are most interested in helping out with (front of house, sound and lighting tech, hosting). If you’re interested in all of them that’s even better.
– What one of the training days you can make. If you can’t make either please write anyway as we’ll put on another one soon.